NU675-7D-LA Unit 6 Assignment – Clinical: Journal Reflection Herzing
Reflective Journal Instructions
You will create 7 entries for your Reflective Journal about a patient encounter. In the 7th entry, you will review the previous 6 entries and evaluate your progress in reflective practice over the course of the term. Each journal should be a minimum of 250 words.
The purpose of this reflective journal is self-reflection regarding the role in the process of self-reflection as a PMHNP provider. Through reflective practice, the student will evaluate their own emotional health and recognize one’s own feelings as well as one’s ability to monitor and manage those feelings. The point of the exercise is to learn yourself, your triggers, the types of cases you end up getting overly involved with, and those you’d rather refer to someone else. The idea is to be able to personally reflect on your behaviors/thoughts/decisions and how those impact you in the role of PMHNP.
Address the following items:
The thoughts and opinions you have about clients will influence your treatment of them. To discover your own assumptions about those with mental health disorders, answer the following questions based on your own thoughts and opinions. There are no right or wrong answers.
- What causes the movement on the adaptive–maladaptive mental health continuum? That is, what motivates people to exhibit maladaptive behaviors?
- How will you measure therapeutic success? Take into account the degree of maladaptation possible.
- Describe your thoughts/beliefs about the following:
- Mental illness
- Passive aggression
- Are humans trustworthy? Are clients with mental illness trustworthy?
- Are clients with mental illness generally self-centered and selfish or do they have the ability to empathize and show concern for others? Take into account the degree of maladaptation.
- Can clients with mental illness change? Again, take into account the degree of maladaptation present.
- Do you believe that mental illness is prevalent? Why or why not?
Use the appropriate APA formatting with a minimum of 2 references to support your work.