NU675-7D-LA Unit 13 Assignment – Insomnia Case Study Herzing
J.F. is a 40-year-old Caucasian male with depression treated with Wellbutrin XL 150 mg daily for three months. During his visit today, he divulges that he does not sleep more than two to three hours per night. J.F. reports this has occurred for the last two years. He indicates he lays down around 9:30 PM but does not fall asleep until roughly 2:00 AM. He is awake most mornings before 5:00 AM. J.F. complains that sometimes he will fall asleep and his wife awakens him due to his snoring. He reports that he has tried melatonin and Unisom over-the-counter, meditation, and improved his sleep hygiene routine. He reports no notable difference in his sleep patterns with those interventions but does admit that a shot or two of whiskey will help him get to sleep a little sooner. He mentions that his grandmother takes alprazolam 0.5 mg every night for sleep and asks if this would help him sleep, too.
Answer the following questions in a 3 to 5-page paper, not including title and reference pages, about the case above. Follow APA formatting.
- What is the definition and diagnostic criteria of insomnia?
- What risks are associated with insomnia?
- In which classification of drugs does alprazolam fall, what is its mechanism of action, and how does it differ from others in the classification?
- What are the side effects of alprazolam and what are your concerns about its use based on the details provided in the case study?
- Which alternative treatments would you consider for J.F. and what education would you provide about this/these medication(s)?
- What sleep hygiene changes would you explore with J.F.?
- Describe your treatment plan and include the following:
- Pharmacologic treatment
- Nonpharmacologic treatment
- Patient education
- Provider referral
- References (minimum of 3)