NU675-7D-LA Unit 12 Assignment – Managing Side Effects Across the Lifespan
- Write a generalized paper concerning common side effects and how to manage these for the psychiatric mental health patient.
- Why is it important to include side effects in informed consent?
- The paper should be 3-4 pages double spaced then an additional 1-2 pages addressing the following mini-cases.
For the following 5 mini-cases, answer the following questions:
- What is the potential side effect of the medication that will be started?
- Is this medication appropriate (right med, right dose, right time, right route) for this patient?
- What would be another medication(s) you could possibly start and the side effects of that medication(s)?
Patient 1: 67-year-old female who presents with MDD and GAD. She has been treated with Cymbalta in the past however finds it not working very well and having sadness, insomnia, ruminations, and a sense of impending doom again. She is to be started on Pristiq 50mg.
Patient 2: 9-year-old male who presents with ADHD and panic disorder. He is to be started on Adderall XR 20mg at noon.
Patient 3: 40-year-old male who presents with Bipolar 1 Disorder and in a manic state after stopping his Abilify for the 3rd time in 8 months. It had been discussed previously to start Abilify Maintena 400mg IM q 4 weeks and will be started today. He has not had PO Abilify for 1 week.
Patient 4: 93-year-old female who presents with the recent loss (6 months ago) of her husband of 58 years. She notes trouble sleeping, not being hungry, and sad. She has no previous psychiatric history and is to be started on paroxetine 30mg daily and quetiapine 200mg hs for her recent insomnia.
Patient 5: 52-year-old female who presents with MDD. She reports recently going through menopause and having a lot of trouble with irritability and hot flashes. Her current medication is not working like it was before and she will be started on clonazepam 0.5mg bid.