NU636-7E Unit 3 Assignment – Case Study: Diuretics Herzing
A 70 year old man with a history of myocardial infarction presents to the ER with shortness of breath and chest pain. Over the past 2 weeks he has developed increasing dyspnea with exertion and swelling in the limbs. Over the past 3 days he has found the need to elevate his head while sleeping to reduce the incidence of coughing and shortness of breath. At the moment he uses 4 pillows.
In the ER while sitting upright he seems to be in respiratory distress and is tachycardic with a blood pressure of 195/112. JVD is predominant. Upon auscultation of the lungs rales are heard bilaterally and he has pitting edema of both lower legs up to his knees.
Chest x-ray confirms pulmonary edema and he is immediately place on oxygen.
He is currently on hydrochlorothiazide, metoprolol and enalapril.
- What would be the anticipated diagnosis for a patient with the clinical presentation in the case above? Correlate the symptoms noted with the pathophysiology of the condition you identified.
- What pharmacologic agent would be anticipated as the first management step for this patient and why?
- Explore and describe any potential interactions of the anticipated pharmacologic agent and the patient’s existing pharmacologic management.
- Prepare and submit a 3-4 page paper [total] in length (not including APA format).
- Answer all the questions above.
- Support your position with examples.
- Please review the rubric to ensure that your assignment meets criteria.
- Submit the following documents to this assignment area:
- Case Study: Diuretics
Estimated time to complete: 2 hours