NU621-8D Unit 3 Discussion – Hyperthyroidism Herzing
Six months ago, your 42 year old female patient was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and received appropriate treatment. Her most recent thyroid tests revealed she is now hypothyroid.
- Describe the pathophysiology of hyperthyroidism.
- Explain the signs/symptoms you would expect this patient to manifest and correlate them with the pathophysiology you described.
- Provide details of the tests done to confirm the diagnosis of hyperthyroidism.
- Discuss the treatment she would receive for hyperthyroidism.
- Describe why she is now hypothyroid.
- Compare the signs/symptoms she would manifest with hypothyroidism with those she displayed for hyperthyroidism.
Cite current research findings, national guidelines, and expert opinions and controversies found in the medical and nursing literature to support your position.
Discussion Peer/Participation Prompt
Please respond to at least 2 of your peer’s posts. To ensure that your responses are substantive, use at least three of these prompts:
- Do you agree with your peers’ treatment plan?
- Take an opposing view to a peer and present an alternative approach.
- Share your thoughts on how you support their opinion and explain why.
- Present new references that support your opinions.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.